Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Union Street Market !!!

Guess what the title means ??

its not some market in US. its actually the university retail food court, well y am i writing about this place in my blog ? not that i like the food here, but more importantly, this place was my first employer in the university, it was the first place where i actually worked and earned money by self. A place to really remember, since when i came to US in spring 08, i didn't have any assistantship and people here scared me that without assistant ship, you wouldn't be able to survive in US. i got really freaked out and started to search for a campus job, and the first and only good job to be offered was the Union street market (USM). my work at USM was a "dining assistant". the work basically involved working in any of the four food stations at the food counter and serve people with their choice of food. it was quite an easy job and paid me well enough to manage my expenses and save a little. plus, i had a free meal with each shift, so i had a chance to cut down much of my food expenses here only. I had worked a lot during the sem in the USM. got to meet new people, make friends with Americans and other cultural people. still, i have some good friends whom i met at the USM. it was also a place where i got to taste some American and Mexican foods, to say, only thing missing in American food is spice. other than it, its a good food. the USM work made me learn many things and experience newer things which i would have never had even known if i had been in India.

it was a privilege working in the Union street market and would remain one of my memorable experiences in USA. i am not sure if i would go back and work there again in following semesters. but if i have to work outside dept, my first choice would definitely be USM for sure...!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi chibi... i read ur blog... it was interesting......